Expert considers tobacco excise too lowHealth
- Editorial: conflict v compromiseOpinionTo a degree, stiffness and «my way» is turning into a stumbling stone for a key figure in current governing coalition, health and labour minister Jevgeni Ossinovski. After rising to lead Soc Dems in May 2015, he was expected to do a kind of restart and raise the party's popularity and profile by bringing it out of the shadows of partners.
- Faux pas by ministry brings state under risk of fineLocal News
- Editorial: no taboo topicsOpinionThe views expressed at Public Broadcasting (ERR) heads meeting that while discussing drug policy we should not give the floor to those favouring legalization of cannabis corresponds not to the balanced debate principle ERR should stand for. Understandably, the ERR leaders feel their responsibility. Understandably, the sense of responsibility contradicts ERR enhancing behaviour damaging to health. But this will not mean that a debate birthed in society may be limited to views of one side alone.
- Nine out of 10 smokers in Estonia would like to kick the habit - surveyHealth
- Editorial: the taxing decisionsOpinion
- Estonian parlt passes tax law amendmentsLocal NewsThe Riigikogu on Monday passed amendments to the Social Tax Act, Income Tax Act and other laws according to which the excise duties on alcohol, tobacco and fuel will be raised faster than planned by the previous governments and the value added tax on accommodation services raised from 9 percent to 14 percent.
- 7.7 mln illicit cigarettes found in truck headed to SwedenLocal News
- Third of 12th graders on drugsLocal News
- Cheap cigarette prices set for sudden jumpHealthIn a rare accord, Big Tobacco, taxpayers union and health activists agree that tobacco excise needs to primarily rise on the cheap cigarettes storming the market. That ought to make cigarettes harder to obtain for the youth. Today, the government will be deliberating the issue, as new coalition brings a new excise bill.
- Ministry initiates bill of steep excise riseEconomy