Prosecution: Ex-minister Kuusik suspected of physical abuse

Marti Kuusik.

PHOTO: Eero Vabamägi/Postimees

The Office of the Prosecutor General confirmed that Marti Kuusik, who due to a domestic violence scandal resigned from the position of minister of foreign trade and IT after only a day and a half in office, is suspected of physical abuse.

Kuusik was handed the suspicion last week under the section of the Penal Code concerning physical abuse, the Office of the Prosecutor General told the news agency.

Marti Kuusik handed his letter of resignation to Prime Minister Jüri Ratas on April 30. Kuusik said then that he was resigning as minister for the sake of the government’s peaceful work atmosphere, to cleanse his reputation and protect his family.

„I filed the application to party (EKRE) chairman Mart Helme and Prime Minister Jüri Ratas (Center) for my resignation from the office of minister. Allow me to once again confirm that the accusations made against me are slander – I am not someone who engages in violence,“ Kuusik said.

„I am giving up the office of minister not because the accusations against me are true, but, on the contrary, in order to focus on defending myself in criminal proceedings and restoring my good name,“ the minister from the Estonian Conservative People’s Party (EKRE) said.

Upon Kuusik’s assumption of the office of minister of foreign trade and IT, suspicions regarding his use of violence against his wife were published in media and the police launched a criminal investigation to determine the circumstances.

It was reported on Monday that Kuusik has gone to court against the state and is demanding over 31,000 euros as compensation for his forced resignation.

TOP