The Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority on April 12 issued an order for construction activity at the wind farm to be stopped, and an official of the Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority delivered the order physically to the wind farm on April 16. By the time the injunction was made, one wind turbine had been erected and another was planned to be erected at the wind farm, the authority said.
In the future, the developer is planning to erect 30 wind turbines at the farm.
The main reason for the issuance of the order is an assessment according to which the construction of the wind farm would pose a threat to national security. The Ministry of Defense has previously said that putting up large wind turbines in said area of northeastern Estonia would interfere with the work of military radars.
The watchdog is also of the opinion that construction activity by the developer is illegal because the developer of the Aidu wind farm has no valid construction permit.
The construction permit received in 2013 is no longer valid and the wind farm construction permit issued by the rural municipality government of Lüganuse in 2015 has been challenged in court. In addition, the state as the owner of the land has not issued a construction permit for the wind farm, while the Supreme Court has also clearly prohibited construction.
„Even if the 2013 construction permit was valid, a project has been coordinated with the Ministry of Defense according to which the allowed total height of the turbines is 185 meters from the ground that existed in 2012. The height restriction has already been remarkably exceeded as, according to the information submitted by the developer today, the approximate height of the turbines is 202.4 to 218.4 meters from the ground upon completion,“ Anne-Mai Helemäe, spokesperson for the Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority, said.
The Estonian Police and Border Guard Board last Friday declared the territory of the Aidu wind farm being developed by brothers Oleg and Andres Sõnajalg off-limits after the developer had refused to comply with an order to stop the construction work.
Helemäe said that construction work at Aidu continued also on Friday despite the order issued to the developer and the warning to impose a penalty payment. „The Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority has been keeping an eye on the situation, and the state of play we recorded today demonstrated that continuation of the construction activity would entail irreversible damage,“ Helemäe said.