Sa, 2.12.2023

Four men die in fire in Tartu County

Please note that the article is more than five years old and belongs to our archive. We do not update the content of the archives, so it may be necessary to consult newer sources.
Photo: Kristjan Teedema / Tartu Postimees

Four men died when a house they had been drinking alcohol in caught fire in the southern Tartu County on the night between Wednesday and Thursday, the Estonian Rescue Board said.

The police blame the fire on smoking or use of open flame.

The rescue authority was notified at 9:58 a.m. on Thursday that smoke was seen rising from the location of a house in Joepera village in the territory of the Meeksi rural municipality. Rescuers arriving on the scene established that the house that already stood in ruins had burned down during the night. The remains of four men were found inside the ruins.

Investigators have established that the house was inhabited by two brothers who had visitors last night, together with whom they consumed alcohol. The house had no electricity supply and its inhabitants used candles for lighting.

According to the inspector's initial assessment the fire got its start from smoking or open flame.