Late delivery leaves ferry operator in the blackLocal News
- Administration discovers 21 faults with ferryLocal NewsA recent inspection of the ferry Leiger, currently being built in Turkey, by the Maritime Administration (VA) came across numerous shortcomings. The ferry's owner TS Laevad rejoiced two weeks ago, on October 19, how the vessel would begin its journey to Estonia in the next two or three weeks, and that major faults and systems had been fixed. The company's press representative said back then that “less important faults” will be addressed simultaneously with other work.
- Half of four ferries ready by OctoberLocal NewsWith forty days to go till operator change in mainland-islands ferryboat connection, only one of the four boats built is in its final stage of construction – Leiger, under construction in Turkey. With Tõll built in Poland a slight chance exists for it to enter service on October 1st as well, but the more realistic date is mid-October.
- Leiger the Ferry test sailing at Sea of MarmaraLocal NewsUnder construction in the Turkish shipyard Sefine, new ferryboat Leiger underwent gear tests on Sea of Marmara waters yesterday and the day before. At noon yesterday, website Marinetraffic showed Leiger under Estonian flag moving at 11 knots on Sea of Marmara near Istanbul doing tests. Once in Estonia, Leiger will sail the Rohuküla-Heltermaa line.
- Editorial: terrorism – the gangrene of our timesOpinionAmong the largest in the world, the Istanbul Atatürk airport sees tens of millions of passengers flow thru in any year. Right there is housed the headquarters of Turkish Airlines, fourth largest carrier on the planet. Resulting from a terrorist attack in the airport on July 28th, up to 50 are dead by today with hundreds wounded.
- Editorial: don't pay the ferryman until he gets you to the other side ...Opinion...And then the ferryman said,There is trouble ahead, So you must pay me now (don't do it), You must pay me now (don't do it), And still that voice came from beyond, Whatever you do, Don't pay the ferryman, Don't even fix a price, Don't pay the ferryman, Until he gets you to the other side. -Chris de Burgh
- Editorial: Europe's last chanceOpinionA EU summit in Brussels today bring together heads of states and governments with Turkish prime minister Ahmet Davutoğlu to discuss taming of the migration crisis. On Friday, Donald Tusk charged with chairing the summits told those participating: «We are closing the route across Western Balkans, the main route through which 880,000 migrants flowed into the European Union last year, and 128,000 during the first months of 2016.»
- Editorial: the Middle-Eastern «gunpowder keg»OpinionAt the beginning of 20th century, interests of then major European nations collided in the Balkans to the degree that the region began to be referred to as a «gunpowder keg». In 1914, it exploded to trigger WW1. Disturbingly, the Middle-East of 21st century resembles another «gunpowder keg» where interests of the West, Russia, the Arab states, Israel, Iran and Turkey clash.