Editorial: attitudes can be alteredOpinion
- This year’s Opinion Festival in Estonia looks beyond languageLocal NewsThis year’s Opinion Festival will host more English-language discussion forums than ever before in the event’s four-year history. This comes part and parcel with the festival’s aim to create an inclusive space for addressing some of society’s biggest issues and welcome multilingual participants and speakers from Estonia and beyond.
- Editorial: Estonia, established in European Hall of FameOpinionFor any state or union, well functioning regulations are an unquestionable foundation for success. That in 2015 Estonia stood out by lowness of infringement proceedings regarding adoption of EU directives, says a lot while mainly underlining how well we understand the importance of being in the bloc.
- Editorial: Clinton v TrumpOpinionIn Philadelphia yesterday, the Democratic Party ended its convention by setting up Hillary Clinton as presidential candidate. To showcase party unity, lots of top cadres supported Ms Clinton such as president Barack Obama and her primaries opponent Bernie Sanders. Somewhat surprisingly, a culmination was the emotional and mighty address by first lady Michelle Obama, historic by now no doubt.
- Editorial: an embarrassingly bumpy beginningOpinionPicture a big public procurement for purchasing computers. Initiators say that office work will reach new levels of effectiveness. Turns out, the new hardware is late but the old computers have been hauled away by other departments or outright amortized. On the morning of The Day, IT-chief stands before the staff, an old slow computer in arms, and with his voice shaky says please be strong and don't give up. Bosses higher up the ladder explain that «change always hurts», «the work will get done» and, after all, the entire situation is the fault of those who worked here before them.
- Veronica Anghel: the worth of a NATO Eastern Flank Working GroupOpinionThe true value of binding agreements lies in their implementation. The willingness and attention with which a contract is negotiated is an indicator of the document’s ceremonial or substantial value. And then, the functioning mechanisms set up to implement these agreements make or break its success.